My Girls

My Girls

Sunday, December 12, 2010

a fairy in my tree.......

Betcha don't have one of those!!!!!  Actually, can't believe I do.  No sooner had I walked in the front door, wings whirled and a swoosh could be heard.  Be'Be' flew straight from my head to the tree, promptly disappearing within it's branches.  It was only a tiny bit bigger than a firefly and once again I wondered.  "Did I really see that?"  Unequivocally, the answer is YES!  Seriously, who makes this stuff up?  "MosSY", I stamped my foot for effect.  Hmmmm, there was none produced.  

I sat down to watch and wonder.  Wonder.  Tis the season for such.  How many times have I sat with all but the Christmas tree lights on and watched it in awe?  December finds me often beginning a night's sleep in just such a fashion.  I squint, my eyes blurring together the ornaments and lights.  I strain, my eyes searching to see each tiny detail of the years of collections.  I have crooked little beaded candy canes, photos of children's faces tucked into a myriad of handmade frames, even a little first grade rendition of the manger scene drawn on fabric, framed in a hoop.  Handmade creations from my children and grandchildren.  No matter it's current condition, they are on the tree.  Christmas and memories.  They can fill you with warmth.  They can fill you with an almost unbearable yearning.  There are voices and laughter that can no longer be heard but in the corridors of your mind.  They float in your memories sometimes almost seeming to tease as you reach for more......  Just as I started down this bittersweet path, she flew out from behind a Big Bird ornament and back in behind the sequined felt pink elephant.  It was then that I noticed her wings are like baby ferns-fiddle heads as some are called.  However, no fiddle head had I beheld (until now) produced an almost phosphorous glow of sprinkles.   Be'Be' coo-chirps. You want to say it's an infant's coo, but then it seems so similar to a Black Cap Chickadee's chirp.  It's delightful regardless.  An ornament on a branch slightly sways.  There she is again!  She seems to hang suspended as she appears to be studying the ornaments.  Turning to wink my direction she rose ever higher and once again entered the tree somewhat close to Snoopy & his doghouse.  The clock tick tocks.  I began to nod as sleep calls my name.  Stretching out on the sofa, I wonder......of a tiny chirping fairy........of where Miss Mossy has been.........of the delights of this special season..........of wonder itself.........  Oh, may one never lose the pure essence of wonder!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Girls

My Girls
Snippets of an addle-pated mind and her wee little gnome friend, Mossy.

Wrap up tight in caution tape
and enter with care
for the tales of the two are
quite simply....

BEYOND COMPARE!